Next Generation Products
Over the past few years, the possibilities of enjoying tobacco or nicotine have expanded. Novel products provide smokers with the opportunity to switch to (potentially reduced-risk) alternatives without giving up nicotine consumption. There are heat-not-burn as well as tobacco-free products. Here are some important products from the portfolios of our member companies:
E-cigarettes allow nicotine consumption without containing or burning tobacco. Although e-cigarettes have different designs, they all have a similar basic structure. With the help of a battery-operated device, a liquid is heated and evaporated. This liquid usually consists of the carrier substances propylene glycol and glycerol as well as flavours and possibly nicotine.
There are basically two different types of e-cigarettes:
- Closed systems: the cartridge with the pre-filled liquid also contains the vaporiser, which together form a closed ready-to-use system (“pod”). When the liquid is finished, the pod is exchanged and a new one can be inserted. These are small and powerful devices, easy and discreet in use; previous experience is not required.
- Open systems: The components of the device are individually assembled. The performance can be adjusted to a certain extent and the tank is refillable. These are high-performance, versatile devices with a technically sophisticated and individualistic handling, for connoisseurs
Since 2014, e-cigarettes have been regulated as a “related product” of tobacco products. The European Tobacco Products Directive 2014/40 / EU established regulations for the production and marketing of nicotine-containing e-cigarettes and their refill cartridges.
Legal regulations for electronic cigarettes:
- In Germany, the use of flavours is subject to strict regulations and the producers report all substances used to the authorities (MORE ...).
- Since 2016, a health warning is printed on the packages of e-cigarettes and refill cartridges as well as on cigarette packages.
- Nicotine-free products will be subject to the same regulations as e-cigarettes that contain nicotine with regard to Ingredients and Advertising.
These novel products enable the enjoyment of tobacco without burning it. A battery-operated device heats the tobacco stick or capsule up to a temperature of 300-400 °C.
Modern Oral Products
Modern oral products offer another innovative (and potentially lower-risk) alternative to enjoy tobacco or nicotine. These products offer adult smokers and nicotine users a convenient and discreet way of consuming nicotine.
The pouch is activated by chewing it briefly and then placing it under the upper lip. The nicotine is absorbed through the oral mucosa. After use, the product is removed from the mouth and discarded.
Tobacco-free nicotine pouches
These are white, tobacco-free nicotine products for oral use. They are available in different nicotine contents and flavours. They mainly contain starch, plant fibres, flavours and nicotine.
Since these novel products do not contain tobacco, they are not subject to legislation on tobacco products and related products.
The member companies of the BVTE agreed on voluntary minimum standards for quality and marketing to ensure a high level of consumer protection.
These are essentially the modern version of chewing tobacco. They are offered with different nicotine contents and flavours - often in white. They mainly consist of starch, plant fibres, favours as well as tobacco that naturally contains nicotine.
These products contain tobacco and are marketed as chewing tobacco. They are subject to European and German regulations for tobacco products and related products.